Calling the studentss of 8-Aquino!
Task for this week:
- If you have already commented your link, no need to comment it again everytime you update your blogs.
- Have a copy of this poem
PRAYER FOR BURMA
By May Ng
Do you recall the land of golden spires?
Where the morning bells are answered with murmurs of saffron prayers
And the silence of bare feet echoing their innocence
In a land overwhelmed by evilness and greed
A message of hope for hearts in deepest despair
In a language of love for a people enduring only callousness and betrayal
As their Meta Sutra chants rose high up above
Reflecting in the stillness of their gaze
You can see great courage and dignity in the eyes of the Burmese monks
I remember the summer a lifetime ago
When your soft hair was shaved and the first time you wore your
Thin-gann the novice monk’s robe
And your beautiful boyish lace was full of determination
With serene downcast eyes
After shedding Shinlaung’s ceremonial finery
You remained a Buddhist monk
To devote your life to people and your religion
I also remember the dark winter nights
When you stayed up late studying Buddha’s scripture, poetry and politics
Looking to find answers for your people’s suffering
Since last September
The war against evil has only just begun
And I know that you will fight on
I am quite sure that
Your prayer will be answered
Your hopes will come true
And your fight will be won
Your anger is fiercer
And your power mightier
Your cause is just
Your prayers are sincere
You will win in the end
There is nothing to stop your spirit and hope
No one can silence your prayers for peace and freedom in Burma
We shall not forget our monks who were at the forefront of our march for freedom.
- According to the speaker in the poem, what is happening in his/her country Burma?
- What can be done to attain peace and freedom?
- What was the role of the monks in the fight for freedom?
- Why is the poem entitled “Prayer for Burma?”
- How would you feel under similar conditions?
- What does this quotation from the poem mean: “We shall never forget all our monks who were at the forefront of our march for freedom.”
- How does this poem show the temperaments and psyche of the Burmese people in their response to the challenges of modernity?
DEADLINE FOR YOUR ADVERTISEMENT: December 15, 2017
Create an advertisement (Print or TV) using one of the propaganda techniques that we have discussed.